General Safety Tips
- Program the Marietta College Police Department’s emergency number, 740-376-3333, into your cell phone.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Travel in groups at night whenever possible, especially when walking.
- Use lighted walkways, even if it means going out of your way.
- Walk briskly, with your head up, and with assurance. Do not walk in brush-covered areas or against buildings.
- Keep purses, backpacks, and money belts close to the body, and do not leave them unattended.
- Do not struggle if someone attempts to take your property.
In the Residence Halls
- Attend Community Policing events held in the residence halls.
- Lock your room’s door at all times, whether the room is occupied or not, and while you are sleeping. Many victims of burglaries have been out of their rooms for only minutes or were down the hall a short distance from their rooms when the burglaries occurred.
- Report doors that are propped open-they increase vulnerability of crime. If you find an interior or exterior residence hall door propped open, call a Resident Assistant and close the door.
- Lock cash, credit cards, jewelry, and other valuables in a drawer or trunk. Take these valuables with you during school breaks. Be careful to not leave clothing and other property unattended in lounges or laundry rooms.
Safety When Coming and Going
- Lock your bicycle with a high-security lock.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit and populated area. If this is impossible, scan the area before getting into or out of your vehicle. Know your surroundings!
- Get into your vehicle briskly, quickly, and confidently.
- Avoid becoming too absorbed with the task at hand, such as keeping your head down at the key lock or occupying yourself with bags, books, or keys. Stay alert to avoid becoming a target for crime.
- Keep keys in hand to avoid unnecessary delay upon reaching your car.
- Always plan ahead, even if you are late or in a rush.
MCPD will escort students across campus if they are injured or feel unsafe. To request an escort, describe where you are located. Use the parking map above if you aren't sure where you are, or call (740) 376-3333